Think Spring

Think warm thoughts, think warm thoughts, think warm thoughts. That is what I have been telling myself. I made it to Maine at the end of last week, and it is cold here. Georgia is having glimmers of spring time but not here. The several inches of snow on the ground remind me that winter is still in full swing and that I am ill prepared.

To keep myself warm, I wanted to make myself a fold over pom hat to keep me warm. I didn't find a pattern that really was fitting what I wanted to I found on that was close and altered it so it was more like what I was looking for.

I started with the Latvian Snowflake Hat that I found on Ravelry, and changed it to fit my what I wanted. You can download a free PDF of it from the link for the original and my notes/advice/changes are below.

No, I have not made the pom-pom to go one top, but I will get there. Pom poms are quick and easy to make, and I love putting them on hats. 

Below are some instructions and advice on how I would change the pattern I started with. I worked the pattern on US6 double points, CO 112 sts (28 sts on each DPN)

I started with the BRIM of the hat. Working a 2X2 rib stitch (K2, P2) for about 6 inches. So, it will be about 3 inches when it's folded over.

After that, I followed the patterns instructions on the body. You can use as many colors as you want in the hat, but it is always suggested that you shouldn't use more than 2 colors in a row. Here is how I would alter the pattern of the body of the hat.
BODY
R1: K all
R2: K2tog, K till last 2 sts, K2tog (110 sts)
R3 - R7: K all (can work stripes or borders for the chart in this section. If you add it to the bottom be sure to add it to the top)
Work Chart (15 rows, 22 stitches)
R8- R14: K all (can work stripes or border to match bottom portion here)

CROWN
R15: K8, K2tog (repeat to end)
R16: K all
R17: K7, K2tog (repeat to end)
R18: K all
R19: K6, K2tog (repeat to end)
R20: K all
Continue to decrease in this way till you are at K3, K2og, then remove the K all rows.
Once you are down to only a few stitches cut a long tail, then pull it through the remaining stitches, finish off weave in ends, and add a pom-pom to the top.

I still have a few days before I start work so maybe I will give this hat another try with the more gentle decrease and maybe a different border pattern around the chart pattern. while I had down time and went and found the field where I will be working at.
It was a long 20-hour drive to get here and my car may have gotten totaled in this process, but I know this will be a great experience. They say the first few days are always the hardest and once I get working it will be easier to meet people. Welcome to Portland home of snow, lobster, and chowder. I'm still waiting for my roommates to show up, but it will be a few days before that happens. Hopefully, I will be able to try this pattern again, and maybe even start on another pattern that I have been wanting to do. I want to make covers for some of my pillows. 

For more pictures or info on this pattern please just drop me a comment. 



Comments

Popular Posts