Baby Boys and Bears

It seems like it has been a good minute since I last posted. I have been way to busy lately, but then so are most people. I found out last month that a co-worker at my internship was having a baby. Once I found out it was a boy well I knew that I have to find something fun to make for them.

I always like to make sets as gifts, and I have been hooked on crochet lately. (get it..hooked on..I'm punny today) I really wanted to see what I can do crochet wise so I decided to make a blanket and a hat. 
I picked patterns from Ravelry for both (Shocking I know). I pretty much followed the blanket pattern as written. Easy Baby Blanket is the name of the pattern. It was very simple to make. The only problem I found was that I didn't know how long to make the foundation chain. I ended up with like 80 or 90 stitches I think, and I still didn't think the blanket was wide enough. Oh well, lesson learned there with that one. Also, I added an additional round to make the edging thicker and a more consistent pattern.

The hard part was figuring out what kind of hat I wanted to make. In the past, I have made dino hats, mohawk hats, beanies, and elf hats. so I was looking for a new challenge. I have never fully crocheted a hat before. So this was the first attempt.


I used a basic infant/newborn earflap hat. I wish I had saved the pattern but I was rather basic. Here is the general pattern for how it was made. I altered it a little but not too much, and I half used a different pattern for the ears. Anyways below is the directions for the hat. I used a size G hook and 8ply yarn. 

HAT
Row 1: Magic loop, CH 3, DC10, SS to top of chain stitch
Row 2:  CH3, DC2 in each sts, SS to top of chain stitch (20sts)
Row 3: CH 3, DC2 in st, DC1 in next, to end of round, SS to top chain stitch (30 sts)
Row4:  CH3, DC2 in st, DC1 in next two sts, to end of round, SS to top of chain stitch (40sts)
Row5: CH3, DC2 in st, DC1 in next 7 stitches. to the end of round, SS to the top of the chain (45sts)
Row6-12: CH3, DC in each sts around, SS to top of chain stitch 
Do not fasten off

EARFLAPS
SC in next 11 sts
Row 1: Turn, SC 10
Row 2: Turn, SC 9
Row 3: Turn, SC 8
Row 4: Turn, SC 7
Row 5: Turn, SC 6
Row 6: Turn, SC 5
Row 7: Turn, SC 4
Row 8: Turn, SC 3
fasten off
Count 20 sts attach yarn and repeat the ear flap section. 

Use a contrasting color for edging. Attach yarn an earflap, and SC around. SS to join and fasten off
 BEAR EARS (make 2)
Start with contrasting color
Row1: Magic loop, SC 5, tighten loop, do not join
Row2:  CH1, turn, DC2 in each sts (10 sts)
Row3: CH1, turn, DC 2 in each sts (20 sts)
Attach main color
Row4:  SC in each stitch
Row5: Turn, SC in each sts to last sts, in last st SC3, continue working around to the bottom of the piece. SC 2tog, SC3tog, SC2tog, SC2 and join with SS to first SC

To add the braids cut 4-6 strands fold them in half and pull through bottom sts of earflap. secure, braid, and then tie a knot, and cut off any extra. 

I hope this helps out maybe a few of you who are looking for an easy baby gift to put together. My sister just announced that she will be haveing a boy in September. So get ready for a whole mess of little buy stuff. I am sure she has a list of things to me to make for her. 

On the more personal side. I am happy. That's right I am happy. I am cold, tired, overworked, underpaid, but I am happy. Work is going well. The team is off to great start. Everyone has been great been having a great time with the new roommates. All is well! I wish I could see the boy but I know he will be visiting this summer, He has already booked his flight. I am counting down days till I get to see him. That and the fact that is only hit 70 once so far this year are the only downsides of life right now. 

It is scary and hard to be happy, but you just have to let yourself enjoy life sometimes. I just turned another year older, and I am not sure it makes me a year wiser. I would like to think that I have gained some knowledge over the past 12 months. The main thing is to just roll with it. Living life stressed to the mess only dose damage to yourself. It is much easier to take things as they come, and handle it all one day at a time. It seems like a simple thing, but it took me 23 years to figure it out. 

Next homestand starts Thursday. I don't when my last or my next day off will be. I do know that when I do find it. I will be spending time looking for my next project, or finishing my almost overdue library book. 

Comments

Popular Posts