Blank Spaces

"Because I've got a blank space baby and I'll write your name."

Glad we got the out of the way early. Valentine's day is this weekend and everyone is looking for that perfect gift. I have been with Boy now for six and a half years, and never once have we spent Valentine's Day together. I am the type that prefers to make my own card and gift. It is hard to show your care from a long distance. So express my affection by making things, and here it is a custom family hoopla! 

This project is many firsts. First time creating cross stitch people. First time making a hoopla. Frist time I have a real issue deciding what I should wear. I have seen people create family cross stitch portraits off of a particular photo, which is a really cool idea. To capture a family moment like that. Unfortunately, we don't really have a photo like that. I tried instead to dress us in our standard uniforms. The boy lives in plaid shirts and khaki pants, so that was a no-brainer. I struggled a lot more with how to dress myself. My personal style varies so much on a weekly basis it was a tough call. In the end, I just tried to not clash with what Boy was wearing.

So if you are looking to make your own family hoopla here is what you will need!

MATERIALS
Graph Paper
Color Pencils

Aida Cloth
Hoop (framed in 5-inch hoop)
Floss (colors will vary)
Needle
Sewing thread
Felt


I ended up using about ten different colors of floss. I omitted the heart as well because I thought it was a little too cheesy. Then decided against putting out anniversary on there. No idea why but once I got to that point I really just wanted to put something sassy in the bottom space. I didn't have all the color pencils I needed. So some colors in the graph are placeholders.

In the end, I was too short, and then I messed up and while stitching and made Boy's torso too long. I think it all evened out, and we don't look too awkward. It just took a little editing along the way. That is the best thing about making your own pattern if you mess up, then you can fix it long the way. To create the graph I looked at a lot of family patterns on Pinterest. I took bits from a few different ideas I saw.

Finishing the pieces was a lot easier than I thought it would be. While I have very little patience for hand sewing it was not overwhelmingly bad. I hate video tutorials and do best with diagrams, so I really liked this Floss & Mischief  post on how to finish a hoop.


Overall I am really happy with how this turned out and slightly sad that I sent it to Boy. I think this piece would have made a fine addition to my room. The best thing though is that I feel like the image fits us. It is not just a photo someone snapped but a reflection of how I see our little family. Cat in the middle and all! I had a lot of fun putting this one together and it was a labor of love.

Comments

Popular Posts