New New New

So today is the first day of a new year. A new year means another 365 days of new adventures. I already have one adventure lined up, and that is moving to Maine. I accepted an internship position with the Portland Sea Dogs and will be  moving to Maine at the beginning of February. I know right scary stuff. It is exciting and terrifying all at the same time. I have already found another intern to room with but the clock is ticking pretty quickly on how soon have to make the move. So, I have been spending most of  my time trying to find a place to live.

After I went cross-eyed from looking at so many apartment listings I decided to start on a simple project. I am still looking for ways to use up the leftover bits from old projects. I think I found a pretty good one. Granny Squares! I have thought about using them to make a blanket, pillows, stuffed animals... just about anything. To test drive making them I used some ideas that I found on Ravelry. This Mug Sweater pattern is pretty easy but it also leave a lot up to you.

No directions on what Granny Square to use so I used this basic Granny Square pattern that I also found on Ravelry.


 The number one problem that I have had with my granny squares is trying to make them square they came our kind of rounded. I haven't really found out a way yet, but any advice on how to keep them square would be a big help. So, the next thing you have to do is join the squares. Once again the pattern I used leaves that up to you. It just says to join them. So go crazy and you any join you want apparently there are tons of ways to join Granny Squares. I found a website that gave me at least 10 different joins just by googling it.
I used a basic whip stitch to join mine just to keep it simple for the first time try. You can see in the pic that my squares are kinda round :/. I will have to keep trying to find ways to make my squares more square. I swear it has been the most annoying thing about this whole process. After you join the only thing left to do is add a button and buttonhole which the pattern explains pretty well. After making the buttonhole, I realized that it would reach. Instead of scrapping it I went back and added a round of single crochet around the 3 of the sides. On the end where the button should have been sewn I did a row of Double Crochet to add more length to that end.
Overall I think it turned out pretty well. for a first attempt. I think this project would have been easier if I had done a better job at making the squares. Well, it's on to the next project or well back to an old project. Since I will be moving up north I figured I should work harder on that fair isles cowl that I started a while back. I have almost finished sections A and B once! whooooooo!! I will post an updated picture of the cowl when I get a change. 

Hopefully, I will get a change to blog again before a move. I am so excited about my internship and about the adventure that moving to Maine will bring this year. I am sad about leaving the boy I feel like we just got settled, especially since we have Jinx kitten and a new apartment. Hopefully, this will be good for both of us since he still has a class to finish up and I am working toward that full-time position. Still haven't made decisions on who will have Jinx during this all, but if she stays in GA I have been guaranteed plenty of kitten pics.  

Next week I plan on perfecting my granny squares, and maybe do something fun with them. Also thinking about just making a stock pile of them as quick fun things to try when I get burnt out on a different project. Looking forward to making a cup of tea and getting to use my new mug sweater. Have the fun start the new year off right and spend time doing what you love and not what you have to do or need to do. If you need me for the rest of the day I will be cuddling with my kitten watching Star wars and knitting. Welcome to 2014!  

Comments

Popular Posts