Wintery Things

I know it's weird to keep talking about wintery things...right? Well, I don't think so! Holiday season might be over but that doesn't mean I won't need cold weather accessories. I mean last week had the ummm....what was it....Polar shitstorm  vortex hit us with some cold weather. It made me realize the serious lack of cold weather accessories that I have, or don't have?

Besides still working on that winter cowl that I might finish before next Christmas (if I'm lucky diligent), I wanted to make some small quick things that I will be able to use in Maine. Yeah, cause why does a Georgia girl need cold weather accessories. Well, you are right down here I don't, but in Portland this little peach might freeze without some!

Like normal I looked on Ravelry for a good pattern. I was looking for a nice chunky head warmer. I thought that I had found one that I liked but it wanted what I was looking for. I liked the idea of doing short rows so that stretches better. I feel like the base row is never as stretchy as the end row, so there is always a front and back to it. Since I couldn't find one that was what I decided to come up with my own.

  This is how the finished project turned out. Sorry about the angle of the picture, but I couldn't figure out how to rotate it. Sometimes I'm useless with tech. I recently reclaimed some Quick and Thick yarn from a project that didn't turn out the way I wanted. Which is what I used for the actual headband with a 10mm hook. The flower pattern I did find on Ravelry along with a few others cause I wasn't sure what I wanted to decorate the headband with. Here is the project this is based on. Tells you how to do the flower and everything.

Here is how to make the head warmer


  • ch 9, sl st in 2nd chain from hook to the end of the row (8)
  • ch 1, turn sl st in the back look to the end of the row
  • work row 2 till you have reached the desired length
  • whipstitch ends together
The pattern creates a rib stitch that is nice and stretchy. It is really easy to make and quick. If you like to crochet while watching tv/movies or what not. if you want is thicker or thinner it really is easy to just add more chains in the beginning, or take away a few. It's really easy to just make it how you want.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to put on the headband at first so I made a few different options. I made a bird, a heart, and the flower. All of which can be found on Ravelry. The only one I slightly changed was the heart.
again sorry about the angle of the pic

All of them were simple and quick to make. I have thought about just putting them on pins so I can change them out so I don't have to choose. The bird blends into much I should have used a blue or red so it would stand out more, and I still might. Overall the whole project may take about 3 hours or so. They can all be easily attached using matching yarn and a yarn needle. If you're like me and not ready to make the commitment back them with feeling, use a hot glue gun to attach a safety pin or broach pin that you can pick up from anywhere. Also, the decorative button in the center of the flower really makes a difference in the overall look of the flower.  

Now I have to get back to filling out my first apartment application! That's right..I have roommates....we found a place that we want to live. Now all we have to do is get them to say we can. Moving will be a whole other monster that will be a beast to tackle. the count down to Maine is on, and I am excited and terrified, but completely relieved that I have some cool roommates (who are also interns), and a possible place to live. This whole thing might still come together yet.

Comments

Popular Posts