Merry Catmas

Once upon a time, I made matching stocking using Red Heart Yarn's Crochet Christmas Stocking Pattern for me and the boy. The stockings turned out great, and have been a wonderful addition to our holiday decor. Then we got our first kitten, Jinx, and I managed to thrift the most perfect knitted stocking for her at Goodwill. This November we adopted a second kitten, Luna.

The time came and I was hanging our stocking when I noticed I would be on short this season. I didn't have enough yarn in my stash to knit a stocking that would rival the perfect kitty stocking I found at Goodwill. I turned back to my faithful Red Hearts Crochet Christmas Stocking pattern for help.


To make sure that Luna's stocking was as festive as Jinx's, I decided, I would crochet a stocking. Then cross stitch the perfect Christmas kitty pattern in it. To do this I used the Red Heart pattern but worked the body in single crochet. This pattern is perfect for this because the tall portion of the stocking is worked flat.

Start by Ch 43 then SC in that second stitch and each stitch to the end. Then continue to work to work rows of SC till the piece measures 10 inches (or 45 about rows). Fasten off.

Once fastened off you can grab another color of yarn and start working whatever festive pattern you want. Below is the chart I created for Luna's stocking. The blank spaces beside the hearts were used to write "meow", but are easily customized using any of the alphabet patterns found here.


After cross stitching whatever tickles your fancy into the body, you can continue working the pattern as usual. The heel, foot, and toe are all worked according to the Red Heart pattern.


The only additional change I made to the Red Hearts Crochet Christmas Stocking pattern was the cuff. To give it a little more texture, I wanted the cuff to look ribbed.

To make the cuff, use a larger hook and chain 47. Create a foundation row by CH2 and then, DC in the 2nd CH from the hook and each across.

Row 2: CH 2, turn. Then alternate FPDC (front post double crochet) and BPDC (back post double crochet) around next 46 st. Join with SL to the top of turning CH.

Row 3: CH 2, turn. Then alternate BPDC and FPDC around next 46 st. Join with Sl to the top of turning CH.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until the piece measures two (2) inches. Fasten off, then join ends and seam to the top of the stocking using the directions from "Attach Cuff".


 Then, there it is! Your own custom Catmas Stocking! Hope you enjoy this fun take on the Red Hearts Crochet Christmas Stocking pattern!



Comments

Popular Posts