Crazy Animals

Over time, I have made many animal hats. Bears, dinosaurs, pandas, OH MY! Just to name a few. This week on special little crazy asked me to make him a hat. Well, I thought he did. Turns out he wanted me to make the hat for his newly born baby brother. Oops! Oh well, the point is the gantlet was tossed and I picked it up. It was only something a five-year-old boy would find awesome. A Pirate Owl! He still needs a name and I'm working on it, Captin Screech, One-eyed Hootie, Black Patch.

By the way, newly born baby brother has already had his own animal hat. He was my little fox project. That I may or may not have posted. It was made using the most perfect NEWBORN earflap pattern ever, and a pattern for fox ears I found on Ravelry. Best fox ears I found on the web for free.


 You can do so many things with a good base hat pattern. I am planning on adding the newborn earflap pattern to my patterns page. Yes! I finally learned how to add things to that page. Yay me and I only had to google it once!

So the FULL pattern for today's post can be found on my PATTERNS page. For my pirate owl, I started with my edited version of the Crochet Owl Pattern by Repeat Crafter Me. It is a great base if you have never made an owl hat before. I find that the body of the hat need to be a bit longer so I generally add 4 to 6 rows to the body based on the size of the hat.

This pattern really doesn't take much yarn but you will need several colors. I used some stash yarn that I had. Most of this was Red Hart Solids in worsted weight. The pattern calls for Red, Tan, White, Blue, and Gray, and you need less than on skien of each. I also used a size H hook. 

The thing that takes the most time with this pattern is all the little extras that need to be made and attached to the hat. If you decide to make this hat for a newborn I would consider shrinking down the size of all the add-ons as well. There are a lot of pieces and newborn hats are pretty small. That would be an intimidating task personally for me to take on. Yikes!! 

Sadly I did not get a picture of the kiddo in the hat yesterday, but it was stinking cute. So for the full pattern hop on over to the patterns page. It is under Pirate Owl. Click the link leaves a comment, tell me what you think.

This will also probably be my last post from Georgia. I am on the move again. Following my heart has taken me to some crazy places, and now it is taking me to Texas. So later this month I will be moving to Texas to work for another Minor League Baseball team. It's hard to again pack up my life and leave boy and kitten. It's like getting a divorce dividing up books, movies, and dishes deicing what I can take and what stays. It always hurts, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. It is another full-time seasonal position, and I'm really hoping that after this I will finally land that coveted FULL-TIME position. I had tried to land one, but somehow there is always someone with just a little more experience than I have. While it is hard knowing the number of how many jobs I have been passed over for. I know in my heart is that all it takes is for one to say yes. I will be making this 15 hour two-day road trip by my lonesome, so wish me luck. Oh, and again I have a surprise roommate I can only dream that she is as awesome as my previouse two. If I used up all my good roommate mojo on those two I will be really sad. Hopfully there are really great things in my future, but right now all I see is how much relocating cost. Ouch. 

Comments

  1. Hi there

    Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I love it. I just wanted to check something with you. Row 9; you say to DC in the next 29? Should that just say 9 or is 29 correct? TIA x 😊👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are corrct, It should be 9. It has been updated. Its been a minute since I checked in on these patterns, so thank you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I agree with you that the base hat pattern is a little short. I always use Repeat Crafter Me’s puppy hat pattern as a base hat. It’s slightly larger and longer and it has always been a perfect fit. https://www.repeatcrafterme.com/?s=Puppy+hat Hope you find it useful 😊👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts